I have been into sports these last 25 years, starting with track events 400m / 800m and 1500m and gradually switching to triathlon starting from sprint races up to triple Ironman so far. I am currently a triathlon coach by profession which enables me to focus my time on training during the day. Basically - my life is sports 24/7.Read More
Follow @fabiospiteri on Instagram for the latest updates
Q&A with Fabio
We asked all of our athletes a couple of questions to get to know them better. Check them out for yourself!
- How many days per week do you train?
6 days per week, and I make it a point to have 1 rest day.
- What is your approach to dieting?
My main go-to foods are poultry, fish and pasta. I also eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. I try to eat clean as much as possible. Personally, I am not really into calorie counting as I do need a lot of food as I am always hungry due to my long training sessions..
- How long is an average workout?
Depending on what challenges or races I have upcoming. They could vary up to 10-15 hours of cycling with a lot of hills.
- Cardio or weights?
90% cardio and 10% weights.
- Training alone or with a partner?
Definitely in a group.
- What is your favourite thing to do on a rest day?
Chill out, get a massage, watch TV and be lazy.
- If you could achieve anything you dreamt of in your sport, what would it be?
My goal is to finish the deca Ironman (10x Ironman), but firstly I need to the quintuple (5x Ironman) in which I failed on my first try.
- What is your go-to race day / competition song?
"Quadrophonia " by T99 (classic house)
- If you could have dinner with one athlete / olympian (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
I've met the Brownlee brothers, so now dinner would be with Jan Frodeno
- Use three words that, in your opinion, describe the charactaristics of a champion.
Disciplined, patient and focused.
- If you could use one short sentence to motivate someone, what would you say?
We have one life, one mind and one body ... give it your best shot!
800m Malta Champion ( 1999 , 2000 , 2001 , 2002 , 2003 )
1500m Malta Champion ( 2000 )
Bronze medal Small Nation games 1999 in Liechtenstein ( 4 by 400m relay ) and bronze medal in San Marino 2001 ( 4 by 400m relay )
Duathlon Malta Champion ( 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013 )
Triathlete of the year ( 2013 )
Half Ironman races by 19
Full Ironman races by 8
Double Ironman by 1 ( national record ) ( 2017 )
Triple Ironman by 1 ( national record ) ( 2018 )
People's Choice Award 2019